View Single Post
Unread 09-07-20, 09:19 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
I agree with mshac; the Skymaster is a good neighbor. In that the dBA value was recorded at Max Continuous vs. Max Power, it is essential to make the power reduction as soon as close-in obstacles are cleared, and single-engine flight ensured.

Like mshac, I spent 34 years flying some very noise-sensitive airports with auto reporting monitors, airplanes from the Lear 25B through the Boeing 737-800. The profile I outlined above covers just about any aircraft.

The BVY Abatement Procedure is very reasonable and fits well with how I fly my Skymaster:
"Retract the landing gear as soon as a landing straight ahead on the runway can longer be accomplished. If practical, maintain best angle-of-climb airspeed until reaching 50 feet or an altitude that provides clearance from terrain or obstacles. Then accelerate to best rate-of-climb airspeed. If consistent with safety, make the first power reduction at 500 feet."

I like your thoroughness, GAdams, looking at the AFD for starters. Not many seem to do that. When I see the "Noise sensitive" comment, I google the airport ID and "noise compliance procedures." Outside of the quiet hours, which I would not operate, here is how I would leave this morning.

Using this morning's weather, I would plan a takeoff weight not to exceed 4500 pounds ('77G), which would allow my single-engine performance to meet the TERPs DER climb performance of 200'/nm. Not required by Part 91, but I have flown too long, and with the airplane's excellent performance range, no need to smack the ground now.

I would make my standard takeoff, RWY 16, this morning. I let the airplane fly when it's ready and while in ground effect, accelerate to be at 80 knots at 50'. With an engine failure before this point, I would close the throttles and land while I manipulated the flaps to aid that landing (Accelerate-Stop Distance this morning is 3715'. Takeoff Distance to '50 is 1740' and landing 1670', a total of 3410'). At 80 knots, I'm flying, and I mark this point by bringing the flaps up. With that, the airspeed is near 90 knots, and the gear comes up. When it "clunks" closed, I would make the power reduction and maintain 90 knots at BVY's request up to 1100' MSL.