View Single Post
Unread 05-05-11, 06:20 PM

Amgdawg is on a distinguished road
idaho backcountry tips...

Hello All,

I live in Boise and fly a 182 and spend all my time in the back country on everything that can handle it. Yet my love for a skymaster has always been there since it was the first plane I ever flew in so I have wanted to get one as well and have spent the past 6 months researching the ability for it to take the back country. Spoke with some MAF piltos flying them in South America and FIRE guys as FAC here in Id and Ca. and some Vietnam FAC guys about 02's. Bottom line I never got a straight or consistent answer on the gear strength and reliability (so I want a 336) and the FOD attraction on rear prop (why it is a magnet when the ground distance seems high enough to avoid vortices), but to contribute ... the strip conditions as of today are- Upper Loon, Weatherby, Id Cty, Challis, Pine, Prairie and Magic Reservoir and the soils are very LOOSE right now - prop took it on the last flight. Will be in Sulpher Creek tomorrow to make an attempt and check snow levels...well see.So be careful and if you do not have mountain experience get some with an instructor as these hills can bite if your not careful.

I would love to find a 336 if anyon knows anyone with one they might consider...or if you can tell me how to get a field approval to inop retract and lock it in??