View Single Post
Unread 12-13-04, 11:40 AM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
We all understand the need to 'prove' these instruments are reliable and safe... So I understand the FAA's resistance to use of non-certified instruments....

But it is truly sad that (as in the case of the P210 pilot) that people cannot legitimately aquire this capability - if even under a 'Not for IFR Flight' restriction. At least then, if the certified goes bad - they have 'something' to bring them home... Like I said earlier in this thread.... I'd love to have a non-certified instrument as a plan 'C' backup - because if the Vac and Electrics are gone - an internally battery backed unit like this could save your life. It's a shame that regulation, red tape, and the threat of legal liability claims have taken that away from all of us - or at least those of us who are afraid to violate the FAA regs.

In a commercial application - I totally agree. = must be certified.
In a private (certified or experimental) application - it should be your choice.

If/when you go to sell your certified - as long as the buyer 'knows' that the instruments are non-certified - it should not be a problem. Why deprive the public of this new technology? Why make it so expensive from the certification process that the general aviation community can no longer afford it? It's a shame.