View Single Post
Unread 07-11-21, 09:15 PM

Timcote1960 is on a distinguished road
MU2, cheap 0 jets, 337, my oh my

Thanks for your good thoughts.

I agree that the MU2 seems to make sense, I'm just not sure I'm enough pilot. Abe Lincoln once said "Think you can or think you can't, either way you're right". I don't think I can.

Reality may have nothing to do with reputation, but the MU2 has perhaps the absolute worst reputation for killing folk. From what I hear, new training programs have made the statistics more in line with what should be expected. But remember, I'm 61 and pushed my first throttle to firewall at 54, have about 800hrs. Still a baby, but too old to grow up and be a Top Gun.

Frankly, I'd feel better able to get a type rating in a Mustang than handle the shifty ways an MU2 is renowned for, but that's a pretty long process, starting with SIC before PIC. I agree that the MU2 sounds affordable, and I started this message thinking, yeah, 3 bills for that kind of performance would be great. But it does scare me indeed.

I'm still on the double-337 road. Listing my 206 amphib C206 this week---awesome dream plane and yes, I've landed her at my lakehouse a few times. She's worth 3 and a half. But Lake Winnipasaukee is crowded with boats in the summer and it's way to draggy for the drive from DC. Oh, an no AP; two hours in IMC with no AP and I'm a limp dishrag. So I will turn that sweet waterbird into a lazyboy loungeomatic 337 (which it isn't, btw, it's a complex multiengine which has my deepest respects.
It's also the safest aircraft I know.).

I think humility is my protecting friend here. I can fly in 80-90% of the weather DC to NH can hurl at me. While those numbers won't work for an airline pilot, they work for me. I NEVER *have to* fly at a given time. Never.
Norm Asp 337G N122WB