View Single Post
Unread 11-10-20, 01:06 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Martin View Post
Thanks, Jim. I only fly VFR (unlike up north, IFR here is always thunderstorms) and I don't have a portable Garmin unit.

To clarify, the $499 subscription will last 6 years, at which time I buy another $499 subscription?

Because I have a hand-held ADS-B receiver feeding into an iPad with Foreflight, which gives me all I lost on the GTN 650, I'm THINKING of not updating the Garmin (which still gives me terrain data). Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ernie
How long it lasts is up to Garmin. The approach plates (which you don't use) can be out of date in as little as a month, but Garmin gives you access to them for six months. After that they're hidden.

Navdata (frequencies, etc) can also be out of date in as little as 28 days, but Garmin allows you to access that for much longer. I don't know the actual expiration policy for navdata. If you're using foreflight to look up frequencies, etc then you don't need that either.

The obstacle and terrain data changes rarely. Shorelines don't move (much) and tall buildings don't get built in a day. Again, it's up to Garmin how long they'll allow you to use that data.

In short - you can't guarantee the data will still be around in six years. Is the 650 actually prohibiting you from accessing it for navigation?

If the 650 is still useable, I'd skip the garmin subscription and continue to rely on foreflight. I have a 530 in my 337 that has completely out of date data but is still useable for VFR.

Edit: Now I see your edit! The data went poof! I think that's a 650/750 "feature" = I don't think the 430s and 530s do that.

I'd call Garmin and ask directly.