View Single Post
Unread 11-09-20, 08:20 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Martin View Post
My 337G has a Garmin GTN650. The data card needs updating and the Garmin website is not very clear. I'd be most grateful if any of you can help me with these questions:

1. If I only fly in Florida and the Bahamas, do I need to buy the US Fixed Wing Database Bundle for $499?

2. When will that Bundle need updating again? I bought the aircraft in 2015, the unit was installed in 2014, and the warning to update the data card just started, so maybe it's a 6-year cycle.

Thanks in advance.
Ernie
All of the data is out of date if it's six years old.

When do you need to update? It depends on what you do with it. If you fly IFR and it's your only source of info (I doubt this is the case) you need to keep it updated. For everything else, you can update it as often as you like. Garmin will disallow access to certain features as they age, and the schedule is up to them.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to buy an Americas data pack if you want the Bahamas. The regional days (buy the northeast pack only, or the southwest pack only) seem to be over.

What's your primary use case for the GTN650? DO you have a portable Garmin device where you'd like to also have updated data? It's cheaper if you bundle them together.