View Single Post
Unread 01-06-22, 11:43 AM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
So, I have:
  • Changed from the original two D-Cell batteries to the currently specified four C-Cell batteries,
  • Replaced the Alternator Restart switch,
  • Replaced the resistor,
  • Replaced the two diodes,
  • Reinstalled, and tested the system.
I now have 2.2 volts on the field terminals of the voltage regulator's Molex connectors.

Either alternator will now consistently restart when:
1. The electrical system is unloaded, "and"
2. Only one alternator switch is turned on.

My experience has yielded the Alternator Restart system will not restart both alternators at the same time, nor will it restart if there is anything but the most minimal load on the bus when the restart system is activated. I was able to restart an alternator, with one led taxi light switch turned on, but with nothing additional.

Both the "Alternator Restart Test" checklist, as well as the "Total Loss of Electrical Power" checklist, indicate the electrical load should be reduced, and specify both alternator switches should be turned ON when trying to restore power. So, if you really must use this system, contemplate turning only one alternator ON, as you follow the checklist.

Once one alternator is restarted, and power is being resupplied to the General Bus, there will be power to the remaining alternator's field terminal, so when the remaining alternator's switch is turned on, it will come online also.

Has anyone been able to restart more than one alternator at a time, and/or restart with any kind of a load on the electrical system?

Can anyone explain what the purpose of the resistor is in the line from the dry-cell batteries to the Alternator Restart switch? It sure seems counter-productive as it lowers the voltage at the field terminals of the voltage regulator's Molex connectors.

Rick