View Single Post
Unread 11-25-21, 04:16 PM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timcote1960 View Post
What say---do you run these checks as prescribed in the POH? Do they work? Is it worth it?

Tim
Hi Tim,

In addition to your three questions to the group, I am also interested in knowing:

Has anyone here ever had the "need" to actually "use" the Alternator Restart system inflight? If so, what was your experience with the system?

For reference, my airplane is a FT337GP. Same as a P337G.

There are two checks we should be performing.

1. The POH alludes to the need to do a "functional check" of the electrical system as part of the "Before Takeoff" check. While this functional check is not delineated in the "Before Takeoff" checklist (Page 4-8), it is delineated in the "Before Takeoff-Amplified Procedures" (Page 4-15). I suppose the obvious place for this functional check to occur would be at item (6).d. "Alternators -- CHECK", in the "Before Takeoff" checklist.

2. The POH, on Page 7-44, indicates that every 25 hours we should be accomplishing an operational check of the "Alternator Restart" system. This check is to be accomplished during Day-VFR-Cruise flight, with a heavy load on the electrical system.

During each of these two checks, the ENTIRE electrical system of the aircraft will be shutdown. Personally, I'd rather not do this in-flight, ... even if it is Day-VFR.

I am more inclined to start the engines, accomplish the functional check, and ... if due - load up the electrical system (without avionics), accomplish the "Alternator Restart" check, unload the electrical system ... then, turn on the avionics, and get going.

Does anybody here care to answer Tim's three, and my two, questions?

Rick