View Single Post
Unread 11-21-21, 03:47 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Rick, I hope you can forgive the erratic thought process here, I kept thinking of other thing to check as I wrote:

While repairing electronic circuit boards, I've replaced dozens of diodes. They most commonly fail "closed" whereby voltage is passing through, but now it can pass both directions, instead of only one direction, as designed. The other way they fail is "open" whereby no voltage can pass. 95% of the time, its the first case.

If you're inputting 6Vdc at restart battery box, but only seeing .3 & .6 Vdc at the fields, my primary suspect would be the resistor, because I've never seen a diode fail whereupon it acts like a resistor and lowers voltage.

Time to remove those pressure instruments I'm afraid. You need to check that resistor. Without seeing the diagram, its not clear to me why there would be a resistor in the circuit at all. What is the voltage supposed to be at the field???

Have you checked that you're getting 6 vdc out from the restart switch? I would test all the points of connection in the circuit prior to the switch, as this is where the power splits F/R, so the culprit is likely upstream from here.

Also, you say you have voltage "all the way to the alternators", but that voltage is miniscule. Why not find the connectors you refer to and test the voltage there? In this manner you can isolate the portion of the circuit where the voltage is dropping.

Another culprit could be corrosion at the connectors. Another reason to check them

I hope you figure this out, but honestly who has ever used the alternator restart system? I've flown many other types of twins with no such system, and lived to tell about it!

Seriously, if someone has had an occasion to use the restart system, please tell us about it.

Last edited by mshac : 11-21-21 at 04:06 PM.