View Single Post
Unread 05-03-04, 11:41 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll add what I use for my Turbo '67 model (not presurrized). It only has EGT in it (factory style although I've replaced them since buying the plane, but with the same gage).

The "best power" settings, I believe, are 50 degrees rich of peak. But I run them about 100 rich of peak, under the theory that a little extra can't hurt in case a cylinder or two are leaner/hotter than the one where the probe is. It only adds about a gallon/hour (both engines, total) to do that, so I think it's worth it in terms of longer engine life.

You can run them at peak, but not for higher power settings (not 75%, for example). I still don't think I would care to do that although I doubt it's a horrible sin at say, 65% or less. I think the peak setting would equate to "best economy."

The EGT gages are just a releative thing. You carefully lean to find the peak (takes only a minute or two if that); then if you have the older factory style gages like mine you can set the red indicator at the peak, then enrich them slowly until you have as many marks as you want cooler - 25 degrees for each mark on the gage. So I lean to peak and then push it back up until the needle drops four marks. I don't loose any sleep over whether I happen to miss it by one mark either way, although I generally keep them pretty well "tuned" at the 4 marks rich point.

If you change altitudes and/or RPM/MAP settings, you have to re-lean again. But I have found for my normal flights things seldom change much; I generally fly a lot around the 8K mark and almost always at 70 to 75% power.

Your gages may be different, and you mentioned TIT which I don't have, but I don't know that it makes a lot of difference so long as you know you're not burning things up and being relatively conservative. The old EGT gages can be fairly quirky, and I simply bought new replacement models for mine from the OEM. You have to replace the EGT probes and wires (all a set that is carefully constructed as to length, etc.) once in a while, too, if you expect to get good readings, even if EGT is a "relative" thing.