View Single Post
Unread 10-03-18, 10:02 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Bill

It's all based on how you perform your pre-flight run-up. Back in the day dad always brought both engines up at the same time and did the mag check first then pulled the props left, right, left, right, left, right. For some reason old school technique always thought you had to cycle 3 times. After 42 years in this airplane I have settled on my own technique, I bring up the rear engine first, oil is always warmer after the taxi out to run-up area, I then perform the mag check very slowly watching and listening. First watch the Tachometer for drop, then scan the EGT's for rise (make sure you have enough mixture set for best power as I always lean for taxi) always go back to BOTH on the mags and let it stabilize before you switch to the other mag. Then I pull the prop into feather ONCE watching the oil press and listening (with the front engine idling I have a better sound from the rear) and then make sure when you push the prop back up to high the RPM returns to the home spot you started at. Take your time. Then idle the rear and perform the same on the front.

Quality Aircraft Acc have OVHL'd Woodward governors. I like Woodward, but I am sure the McCauleys will be fine also

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years