View Single Post
Unread 03-04-05, 08:44 PM

gwbraly is an unknown quantity at this point
>>Your warranty response, citing the TCM TSIO-520BE is misleading, since TCM designed this engine for LOP operation. I see no conflict here. They'll honor a 520 warranty which ran LOP (the recommended mode), but will deny a claim for a 360 which ran LOP (the not recommended mode).

And in the related thread George took issue with my statement to stick with what the manufacturer tells you -- ROP -- by citing other manufacturers like Lancair and Cirrus which approve LOP operation. But this is a Skymaster forum and the readers understand that I was discussing Skymasters.<<

Ernie,

I was discussing Skymasters, too. So let me try, again.

It is NOT just the TSIO-520BE that TCM approves to be operated LOP. It includes the TSIO-550, the TSIO-360 (yes, the engine in the Cessna Skymaster!!) and Piper approves LOP for their very most difficult engines (Piper Navajo, 350Hp, non-intercooled, 49" of MP on a hot day, slow turning 2575RPM - - mother of them all). Every Bonanza and Baron POH for the last 20 years includes specific instructions telling the pilot how to operate those IO-550 engines LOP at high power settings.

I understand that you THINK the TCM manual for the TSIO-360 Skymaster engine does not approve LOP operation, but, respectfully, if you come join us sometime at an APS seminar, and be patient with us through the weekend, then about 10 or 11 am on Sunday morning, we have a scheduled course segment during which I will walk you through the relevant portions of that TCM TSIO-360 manual (and several others) and let you see with your own eyes, that your understanding has been in error.

Regards, George