View Single Post
Unread 12-09-21, 10:31 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
The best time to install the pack would be during an annual inspection when the cabin flooring is already open. Rivnuts are easy to install, but you want to know with certainty that nothing is in the way. RT Aerospace told me about 16 hours to physically complete the pack attachment at annual. That did not include making the floor naked and back.

Front engine exhaust pipes need curved elbow extensions and clamps. That's about $300—also, you need the longer cowl flap control rods.

Use a new rubber seal. Cessna dealers will charge you $15/foot. Brown's BA-37900 Sponge Rubber Bulb Seal (50') was $207. I want to say that you need about 24', but both sources required the 50' minimum. So, you have a spare when needed. Replace the door seal as well. I don't have the part number as the shop had that on hand.

If your pack has the cutout for the step, that needs to be sealed if not required. I think the best place to refinish a pack is a boat shop. I live near the coast, and there are several on the airport property, but I didn't think about that source.

Another thing to consider is an air/oil separator on the front engine. You may think the breather isn't putting much out until you put a white pack on your belly. I put the AirWolf separator on my airplane. They don't keep the 337 kits ready anymore; it took about two weeks for them to build it. Without going back to look, I think it was about $600. It has kept the pack super clean. I didn't want the separator as they are known to create moisture issues within the engine, but it lived up to AirWolf's and Aviation Consumers' claim (see attached Blackstone report).

My A&P did a great job sealing it up. I had read a lot of comments about water and oil getting in. So far, despite flying in Gulf Coast rain, everything has remained dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airwolf report snip.jpg (102.0 KB, 413 views)