View Single Post
Unread 11-08-21, 11:12 AM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Loss of an engine

Sometimes, and hopefully all the time, the loss of an engine is something we train for but never have to actually use. Well after 35 years of flying, I had my first engine out. I took off Sunday with the intention to visit a number of airports for the MnDOT aviation passport program. I left the Austin, MN airport where I keep the plane in the winter and landed at Owatonna. About 10 min after taking off from Owatonna I noticed my oil pressure on the rear engine dropping, and then bouncing from just above 0 to the bottom of the green line. I made the call to shut off the rear engine and secure it.

The flight from that point back to Austin was about 12 min. It was a quieter 12 min than normal with a lower airspeed but tracking solidly at 3500'. Greased it in back at Austin. I felt totally comfortable and didnt think twice about my actions. The plane flew hands off and going through the check list was a piece of cake.

Something let lose in the oil system, had oil everywhere inside the cowling and on the outside of the plane.

As they say, bad things come in 3's:

1. loss of an engine
2. The tremendous oil loss was on the main wheels. After touchdown, and on the roll out and breaking, the tire rotated on the wheel shearing off the valve stem and giving me a flat tire which is interesting at 50 mph- had to put on a loaner on the taxiway to get it to the shop
3. 5 planes in the shop ahead of me.....3 of which have no engines. Mechanic said I will be grounded till around February......

The single engine flying was amazing and actually pumped me up about the abilities of the Skymasters. The whole ordeal was a nonevent and I struggled way more with the flat tire than the loss of the engine. I love them!!