View Single Post
Unread 04-15-11, 12:45 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Really good stuff Ernie

Here are a couple other thoughts, and a good reason to attend SOAPA meetings. Install a heat detector in the cowl of the rear engine. it is monitored by a warning light on the panel. This will provide an advanced warning.

Also, I just installed a mirror on the inside right boom just ahead of the interior flap. This provides some nice views of the right side of the rear engine. I can see the prop when I start and the cowl flap. Not sure it would be the best for a fire on the left side but maybe you could put one on the left boom too. A small rectangular convex mirror would work best.

And lastly, attend SOAPA. In Branson, MO at the 2009 meeting we had Capt. Dennis who had experienced a engine fire over water and he had some emergency gear to demonstrate. Here is a photo of a smoke hood and life jacket. The cheap little cellophane bags that you put over your head are worthless so get one like in the photo at the least.

And we had to learn how to use the raft if you went into the water. Good practical stuff and only at SOAPA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smoke mask.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	1224   Click image for larger version

Name:	raft work.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	1225  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years