View Single Post
Unread 12-25-17, 01:49 AM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostKiwi View Post
I live in the PNW, currently have an N/A Skymaster, and I've been dreaming the dream of a booted P, not because I want to go screaming into icing, but for the same principle as a condom. I'd rather have the boots and not need them/use them.

After you sold your P, what kind of machine did you go to?

Leighton
1983 FIKI P210. The 1983 P210 had an improved deicing setup from earlier 210s. It has 2 vacuum pumps, both plumbed into the deicing boots, so it has twice the air supply of earlier models which results in more effective shedding of ice. Unlike the P337 where all the deicing boots inflate at once, the P210 setup is cycled with the inner wings inflating, followed by the outer wings and finally the tail boots. This results in snappier boot inflation and better ice shedding as well. The P210 doesn't have wing struts, and the vertical tail is booted, so less of the airframe is unprotected. All of this results in much less performance loss in the P210 vs the P337 in icing. The ceiling of the P210 is FL230 vs FL200 for the P337 which made the difference between in the tops versus on top on quite a few occasions. The P210 is also legal to fly in icing conditions, if that matters. That said, I still won't just launch into icing conditions, on days like today (12/24) for example. If the freezing level goes all the way to the ground, that is a no go. If I can't be assured of being able to climb to non icing altitudes, I won't fly. Also, if there are reports of moderate or worse icing in the area, I would think twice about launching. The P210 is a light plane, and any light plane and icing should give one pause. Don't get me wrong, I loved my P337, and miss it at night, over the Cascades and in IFR conditions, but the P210 handles ice better, and it is less expensive to fly. It can carry more with full fuel, and since I have a 29 gallon aux tank, it has better range which can matter in icing since you may be flying at slower speeds with ice on unprotected surfaces. The performance of the aircraft is essentially the same too. Where in the PNW are you, I am based at KHIO.