Thread: Avemco Quote
View Single Post
Unread 09-11-19, 12:56 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Avemco Quote

As if on cue from the most recent post about insurance, I have a potentially useful caveat about Avemco, and possibly the current state of aviation insurance in general.

I just received a hypothetical quote from the above named, assuming that I had:
  • 200 hours in make/model
  • A normally aspirated model
  • Only four seats
  • IFR certification
  • Multi-engine
  • One year policy-ownership without claims

I have no prior incidents/accidents.

The quote was for $4000. The excuse was that multi-engine is expensive. I asked to double-check the input and the output of the above. Same number. That is literally almost triple the same quote last year, and double the same quote for an early-turbo. FWIW, every insurance professional I've spoken with in the last week has vaguley corroborated this, saying that GA insurance has undergone substantial transformation in the last 12 months.

I sincerely hope that this is more of an indication that novice pilots need not apply with Avemco, as I wouldn't consider aircraft ownership at that kind of price-point. Added to the other costs (from which I necessarily receive tangible benefit) I would no longer view the GA ownership experience as having adequate ROI. That's a highly subjective judgement of course, but I'm confident that many other would-be new-comers to GA will feel the same.

I'll follow up when I have something from the same broker I used last year.