View Single Post
Unread 06-11-21, 10:51 AM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here on your thread.

My EL panel lights sometimes go off and on randomly. I noticed an entry in the airframe log a few years back that mentioned "Repaired panel backlight ground connection."

Questions:
1. Where is the EL panel lighting ground connection?
2. Could the rheostat cause the lights to go off and on?

Thanks in advance if anyone can enlighten me.
Hi Mark,

Since the EL panels run on AC voltage, I don’t think they have a ground per se’.

The EL panels get their power from an inverter that is located directly behind the top of the throttle pedestal. The inverter gets its power via the red wire from the Instr/Map/Radio/Sw Panel circuit breaker through one of the three transistors that are located in the top right side of the avionics bay. The Switch Panel Light rheostat controls that transistor for lighting intensity. The black wire out of the inverter goes to the two EL panels.

I understand the inverter outputs 110 volts AC, but I’ve not been able to verify that. The mounting bracket of the inverter is grounded to the airframe. I don’t know a lot about AC electricity, but I think it has to have a return path back to the inverter, in this case I think the airframe is that return path. Each of the two EL panels have two small gauge wires that connect them to the AC power source.

I’ve seen rheostats that have had “bad spots” in them that would kill the lights. Sometimes exercising the rheostat will clean off corrosion on the windings and allow electricity to flow again, but other times I’ve just had to replace the rheostat.

You might check your transistors to see if you have a bad one, or two, or three. One of mine was dead and the other two came in at 4 and 5 mega ohms.

I’m sure there are some EE kind of folks here, so … where I’m mistaken, please correct me.

Rick

Last edited by Rick Erwin : 06-11-21 at 11:38 AM. Reason: To check transistors