View Single Post
Unread 12-28-04, 01:42 PM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me start with an obvious statement. I love Skymasters. Second, I love to tinker. As a senior engineering project I'm looking at a few things:

• Composite control surfaces - duplicating ailerons, flaps, elevator, and rudders from lightweight carbon fiber or similar materials. (Carbon Fiber doesn't like aluminum too well)

• Composite and redesigned front cowling.

• Redesigned turbo mounting brackets.

• Composite valve covers. (stamped steel ones are heavy)

• One piece carbon fiber panel completely redesigned.

• Lighter weight 4 blade composite blades.

• Lighter modern turbo chargers.

• Lighter aluminum oxygen tanks, replacing the steel ones.

• Redesigned cast aluminum yoke with simplified version for right side.

• Lighter weight cable pulley system and motor for cowl flaps.

• Lightweight 28V replacement alternators.

• I also have the original drawings and parts for the roller rockers that were stc'd for the IO-360. Since CAD is my specialty, I'm considering redesigning them and producing them. Weight difference is minor, but valve guide longevity is greatly enhanced. They stopped production of these units because owner got burnt out (plus their wasn't enough orders to hire them out).

• Machined 7075 engine spacers instead of heavy steel (expansion characteristics will play a part and need to recalculate torque)

• If you want to get really radical (and money is no object) they are starting production on a stc’d titanium rods for this engine. $600-$900 a rod!!!!

• Lightweight ceramic or other material, lifters.

• Lightweight pushrods.

• Newer, stc’d lightweight 3 ring pistons. (almost in production)

• Redesigned flap control, removal of follow up cable system.

• Removal of fire breathing combustible heater. Use oil cooler as cabin heater.

• Titanium fasteners where possible.

Any other ideas that I could look at? Project will start in the summer. We will pick items on the list that offer the greatest reduction first. Project will be supervised by a PHD of aerospace engineering from NASA. (got lucky there). All projects will be submitted to DER for approval. We are hoping to get the plane on its own experimental ticket with the engineering that is going into it.