View Single Post
Unread 12-01-21, 12:01 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Mark - I think you are a great guy, but you're a little outside your knowledge here by saying it is a "very simple installation". Are you a A&P? Have you installed a pod before? Before you cast aspersions you should really look at what it takes to install one of these properly on an aircraft that has not had one installed before.

Jeff
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

I'm not a mechanic, but I've owned dozens of AC and had many IA's & A&Ps working for me. I was the owner of the FBO and flight school. I know a thing or two about how much things should cost.

Furthermore, Bill Story IS an A&P, and he offered to do the the job for "MUCH less". Does that not validate my earlier statement?

Jeff (JAG), are you an A&P or IA? Did I offend you by suggesting that a mechanic may charge too much? No offense was intended, but in my experience in hiring and firing them, there are some you want to RUN away from. YMMV.

The Cessna shop manual dedicates less than one page to the cargo pod installation instructions. The biggest job is drilling the holes and installing the rivnuts that secure the pod to the fuselage. For those unfamiliar, this is how a rivnut works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkPhGIaPCVs

Antennas may have to be relocated, and on P-models at least, longer front cowl flap rods must be installed. None of this seems overly complicated for a competent A&P.

Perhaps Daryl should get a quote from a paint shop, as this type of work is firmly in their wheelhouse. Or just fly it to Bill

Last edited by mshac : 12-01-21 at 12:30 PM.