View Single Post
Unread 05-05-11, 07:14 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
There should be no concern for the gear, it's a non-issue. The FOD in the rear prop is from the front prop and the tires picking up particles and allowing the rear to suck them in. One must exercise caution when departing and during ground taxi ops. There are some techniques that will minimize the risks for rear prop damage but there is no guarantee to eliminate it. You will have a difficult time finding a suitable 336 compared to the 337's that are out there today and basement bargain prices. Just remember, a Skymaster is a very complex machine and does require a good maintenance program. This has created an over abundance of RAMP QUEENS out there in the aircraft world. Pilots buy the Skymaster thinking they are such a good deal and safety aspect for a light twin. Then when it comes to keeping the bird in the sky it eats them alive and therefore the airplane is parked. It is not unlike any other light twin in most respects but my theory is that unprepared pilots buy the Skymaster when they should have bought a 182.

Turbo is nice but not necessary. It does make the machine even more complex and more maintenance. I would however insist on a STOL kit. The pressurized model is very nice if you have that type of mission. Going to the back country would not warrant a P model. It's a buyers market out there but make sure you have a good thorough pre-buy performed by a mechanic that knows Skymasters.

It is a great airplane for the back country. This is why the Air Force chose it. Visibility, strength, ability, power, stability, center line thrust and ruggedness all make the Skymaster a good utility aircraft. I have flown a number of the Idaho back country strips in mine. I have also used it with a stretcher for rescue and it works very well. It's a work horse twin that's safe and easy to fly.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years