View Single Post
Unread 04-25-09, 01:20 AM

aldoradave is on a distinguished road
Almost the true story on single engine gear up

Went out today, determined to test the engine out rate of climb during gear retraction. I pretty much answered my question but don't have good data to report. Got up to 10,000 in about 5 minutes, that was good. Left the POH on the ground, that was not good! I had to guess by recollection as to zero thrust on rear engine, and that guess was 1800 rpm.

Over the Palm Springs area, with slightly more than normal temps, I dropped speed down with 1/3 flaps and cowl flaps open. At 100 mph I retarded the rear throttle to 1800 rpm and tried to climb out. Got zero rate of climb and was more than slightly dismayed. Retracted the gear, which took 12 seconds, but with no degraded rate of climb (or descent) noticeable during the retraction. After the retraction I enjoyed a 50-100 ft rate of climb. That answered my question--with my aircraft the gear is coming up asap.

Later on the ground I found the POH and it said that at 10,000 msl the rear engine zero thrust point is 2300 rpm. So the fact is I had way too much drag as compared to a feathered rear engine. My question had been answered, nonetheless I am sorry that I don't have better data for you. I will try to do this again the right way when on a cross country and give you better numbers.

Keep in mind that my 337 is a 73 P337 with RT Aerospace gear door mod and Horton STOL. My guess is that anyone with older hydraulics and without the door mod should experiment for themselves.

Dave Dillehay
N84E