View Single Post
Unread 04-02-08, 07:52 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had similar problems with my 67' 337B. The problem is always the downlock switches. Either main or nose gear.
First, how is the aircraft ground handled? Do you use a tug? I have found that certain tugs will raise the nose up, causing an aft CG...which then extend the nose gear strut. The maintenance manual warns against towing with the nose strut near full extension--and in my case it actually broke the nose gear downlock. The nose gear might not collapse either, since there is an internal downlock inside the nose gear actuator (a second downlock). Must people don't know about the second downlock and therefore only adjust/set the primary downlock. But if your primary nose gear downlock is broke the micro switch might not make solid contact with the plate...even though the secondary (or internal) downlock is preventing the nose gear from collapsing. Thus the gear doors will stay open. And once hydraulic pressure is applied everything might look normal again.
So, if you use a ground tug for towing...check the nose gear down lock really well.

The other problems with the main gear downlocks switches are worn "wear pads" that the switches are supposed to contact. This is very noticable while taxing on uneven surfaces.

If you need to talk to me my number is 505-480-7775. I'm in NC and stay up late.

Rob