View Single Post
Unread 09-19-16, 04:51 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi John,

I'm always giving this frequent thought as my engines are now past recommended TBO. My hope is to keep on going with my current engines. I am about to complete my first year running past the "magical/mythical" 1500 hour number. It's been a good year and my plane will be in the shop in early October for it's annual inspection so stay tuned.

As for cost, I don't have precise numbers. I've learned over 14 years of C337 (substitute any type as you wish) ownership, it's better to work in round numbers and don't sweat the small stuff. (obviously a relative term) I'm sure Herb can give precise numbers as he recently installed a factory engine on his plane.

Anyway, I figure if I choose to realistically keep my plane going for the long term, $100,000 should be a reasonable educated guess. I figure two engines (maybe factory), two prop overhauls, ADS-B out installation, plus odds&ends, could easily get to that number. I would also guess the margin of error here could be plus/minus another $10,000 if I had really bad luck and needed to replace props rather than overhaul.

Rather astounding I suppose considering 14 years ago I purchased the entire airplane for that with low time factory engines and a new annual inspection at my shop, and now if I choose to keep going, I get to do it again!

This could be a fun thread! Good Luck!

Ed