View Single Post
Unread 11-06-07, 01:10 AM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Towing your plane

Maybe I have jumped the gun a bit, but I have ordered a Robotow yesterday without gaining any peer advice. Only afterwards I realized I could have asked the group about what you use to tow your plane. Any happiness vs unhappiness with this particular product?

I have an ordinary towbar that I hook up to my quad at another airport for my other plane, but the quad is more in for repairs and maintenance than anything else (bought secondhand, and now I know why it was so cheap).

I like the Robotow, because it is light and can tow a plane easily 600 feet on one charge. It does not touch the ground, but instead has a drum that pushes down on the front wheel - the new Mellinium version apparently has a 'non-slip' design to the driving drum. It is the only power tower that has a claim to this 'non-slip' effect that I could find. It is important to me, as we get snow/ice up here for 5-6 months in a year.

My neighbour has another type with 2 fat wheels on the ground, hooking onto the plane like a normal towbar, but this thing slips terribly once the tires get any water/snow/ice. It runs on mo-gas, stinks up the hangar and it cost about double the price of the Robotow.