View Single Post
Unread 09-29-02, 12:36 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
I Own an Argus 7000

Skyking,

I have the Argus 7000/KLN90B combo in my T210 and it works great. I don't know the details of installation - but you do need a bootstrap from the HSI to the Argus to keep the map direction oriented correctly. I also have the RMI/ADF feature - which is an add-on box on the back of the unit. For me, the primary benefit of the ADF, is that if you’re tight on panel space, this can replace the ADF.

I also had an Argus 5000/KLN88 in my 337 when I got it a couple of years ago, and that has since been replaced by a Garmin stack. My impression was the 5000 was kind of small. I was used to the 7000 display which is twice as big.

As you point out, there were several “levels” of enhancements to these products over the years – and the 5000 was made 1990 model. It operated differently (in small ways) than the later version Argus 7000.

Now that I’m hooked on Garmins, I still have only good things to say about the KLN90B and Argus combo. The KLN90B’s rap for being hard to learn is unjustified. It’s not as easy as a Garmin – but it really isn’t that hard. All GPSes have subtleties you MUST understand before you use them for approaches.

As to the database update issue – I have never heard anyone say that a current Argus database is required to be IFR legal. As Bob Cook points out, that since the Argus is not used for primary navigation – it’s database shouldn’t jeopardize your ability to go IFR. I personally only update the Argus about once per year, and the reason for these updates is because several MOA airspaces have changed and it is confusing to see a sectional that doesn't agree with the Argus. I do update the GPSes every 28 days.