Thread: Factory Reman
View Single Post
Unread 03-10-15, 08:11 PM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Hi Herb

My front engine is a factory io-360g reman from 1983 with 550hrs, it was still running strong when I purchased the project.

Recently we decided to conduct a bulk strip, the flange serial number indicateded a VAR crank but we remained unsure until some cylinders were removed. The engine will have the required inspection / test carried out, new bearings and all mandatory parts replaced. We also found some lifters just starting to show signs of wear as well as some gears. Besides one intake valve and two exhaust valves cylinder still show hone marks, so we will hone, install new rings as well as check all valve guides and reseat valves.

Fuel system o/h "ouch", 500 hourly on the mags as well as checking all other accessories.

By doing this we will be able to bring the engine back into calendar time, more
importantly we will now know what I have sitting in the front.

I did get a price on exchanging a non VAR late last year for a VAR just in case. It was $5,800 USD.

Now that is just the front, rear is original engine with 1950hrs TT. Looking at all options for this one, mid time, a reman or o/h. TCM have provided a number of options to consider, they have been very easy to deal with.

Just thought I would share my journey with the group.

Dave

Last edited by SkyMac : 03-10-15 at 08:14 PM.