View Single Post
Unread 08-02-18, 11:03 AM

JamesC is on a distinguished road
Hi Tom, Don't feel bad - my first Skymaster I got for $80,000, put almost $100,000k more into it, and after a few years sold it for $105,000. On my current Skymaster on a recent front top overhaul he checked the cam and luckily it was excellent, but I guess I wouldn't have known until he looked, and a lot of us don't really know what kind of shape our cams are in, but we hope to pick up any problems when the oil filter is cut open every oil change. As you know, any engine that sits will get cam spalling unless you start it up or if turn the prop by hand eg. ideally weekly, (Camguard also helps).
Was there any significant metal in your rear engine filter as a warning? Any on your front filter?
Some owners send off samples for oil analysis at each oil change and follow the profile - you can get the kits from Spruce. Could be worthwhile for your front engine, but the safest thing might ultimately be to look at the cam.
Any salvage engine should have been pickled but even then you could have your mechanic boroscope and maybe pull a couple of jugs and take a look. WRT Factory Remans, with Continental you get about $4,000 USD for your core, regardless of what kind of crank you have which is great. It took them a month to build my rear engine Factory Reman-TBO is 1600h, and it came with:
Mags
Harness
Spark Plugs
Starter
Alternator
Oil Cooler
Fuel Injection System.
Shipping for me in Canada was about $500 USD each way (for Factory Reman and Core).
All the Best Tom,
Jim

Last edited by JamesC : 08-02-18 at 12:05 PM.