View Single Post
Unread 07-07-03, 07:08 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
Rick:

There was a Horton STOL kit on my 73 P337 when I got it. I can't give you "before and after" figures, since it was already on. But I can tell you that my stalling speeds are about 5-8 mph lower than the POH figures, my cruise speeds are about the same as the POH, stalls are very clean and gentle. Slow flight is easy and the controls don't feel mushy. I don't fly in and out of short strips, but I do a lot of flying in the pattern with 172's, Luscombes, and other "slowpokes" and I can for the most part fit in with them.

I don't use the STOL capability to it's full extent on landing, because I don't like the attitude...I'm looking up at the sky and it's hard to see the runway.

There are no published figures or changes to the POH with the Horton kit. I believe the Robertson STOL does give you published lower figures. The Robertson is quite a bit more complex, as it links the ailerons to the flaps. It is quite a bit more effective, but also three times as expensive.

The Horton does not increase your gross weight.

All in all, I like mine.

There is also a vortex generator application available for 337's now from Micro Aerodynamics. One of the normally aspirated 337's on our field just had them applied, and hesays he is getting about the same performance improvements that I have. Their literature claims a 15% reduction in stall speeds at 0 flaps, 9% reduction at 1/3 flaps, and 8% reduction at full flaps.

If your interested, you can probably get more info from Micro Aerodynamics. Their phone number is 847-364-6688. The price of the VG's is $1950.

Mark