View Single Post
Unread 03-12-20, 03:38 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Tom - So awesome, thanks for sharing the picture.

I think you are on the right track with the oil pressure relief - that thing looks badly scored and likely not letting the spring do its work. I once had an oil pressure relief valve stick open (on a single engine aircraft). Just after takeoff, turning out of the circuit at about 900 ft AGL - I look down and I have about 5 psi of oil pressure. NOTE:Was doing a break-in flight on the engine from overhaul, and this was about hour 4 of flying (multiple take-off and landings).

Anyway, I reduced throttle and pressure went to zero, temps normal, no oil on windscreen...WTF. What seemed like a minute was likely only a few seconds, I started my turn back to the airport, made a radio call and decided to shut the engine down rather than run it without pressure. After gliding in for a safe landing and letting the adrenaline wear off, I started troubleshooting all the usual suspects. Last thing I removed was the pressure relief valve, and that little poppet did not slide out easy (which it should). Small amount of scoring was all it took for that thing to hang up. Replaced it and the housing - never had a problem since.

Point of my story is - chase all the easy things first. Most of my oil pressure or oil temperature related issues have been oil coolers and pressure regulating valves...and surprisingly, after they have been overhauled!!!! I only install new oil coolers now.
Jeff