View Single Post
Unread 12-28-08, 10:54 PM

atsiii is an unknown quantity at this point
My two cents worth...

The pilot's observed decline in oil temps followed by loss of pressure, caught my attention; as has the resulting discussion of possible oil loss. I'll offer my two-cents worth: one for each engine.

I had an oil separator installed on the rear engine of my '69 T337. Twice during long (3+ hour), high altitude, winter-cold cross-country legs, I lost four quarts of oil from the rear engine. The oil was literally everywhere. I finally determined that the probable cause was the breather running from the separator to where it vents by the prop had frozen, pressurizing the case and forcing oil out every available seal, gasket and orifice. It seems like there is or should be an alternate vent to atmosphere, but perhaps it was covered or plugged. At any rate, because it happened twice, I removed the oil separator, insulated the breather line and never had the problem again. I can't swear, however, that I again flew in as cold of temps.

The only oil anomaly I've ever had with the front engine was the result of the oil fill cap not being reinstalled properly after adding oil. The cap came off in flight (retained by its chain), and the engine proceeded to dump three-plus quarts of oil out the breather tube, completely coating the belly of the a/c. This occurred during a high altitude three-plus hour cross-country leg, but it was not particularly cold.

Like everyone else, I was relieved to hear that all were safe.

Allen