View Single Post
Unread 06-29-02, 11:15 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
preliminary results

It's been a busy week, and this is the first chance I've had to visit the plane. Mom's decided it's time to head West, hence the quick trip from Meigs.
I took the power head from the shop vac, and hung it from the prop, and plugged the tube into the exhaust. Those engineers are amazing, it plugs right on, they must have been talking when they decided to size the tube on the shop vac. Anyway, the exhaust joints look like a lawrence welk show. Especially on the right side, where I had noted the discoloration. Looked in the shop manuals and the CHT probe is right above the most offending leak. Hence, high CHT??
Tried the input system, no leaks, but the air filter looks like an oily mess. But, wouldn't that cause it to run rich, not lean? Arrgh, just thought about this, and the throttles are closed, i'll have to try it again.
Looked for the gascolator, strainer, thingie, and can't find it, and it's beyond what I can do anyway. I'm trying to accurately diagnose this, since it has to go to the high price, less competent FBO. The friendly fbo has closed it's doors. My major concern with these folks (the high priceone) is that they have a way about them. They have steadfastly not checked hydraulic fluid. When my squat switch didn't work, the first response was jack it up, put the mule on it. I explained that the gear wouldn't go up, and the hobbs quit, at the same time, so it's obviously in the squat switch circuit. Anyway, I like tinkering. It's an engineer thing.
Oh, turned the prop over by hand, and the only noise was from the impulse coupling. So, I believe it is not a stuck valve.