View Single Post
Unread 07-09-21, 11:51 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Fuel Flow Setting for 0' MSL

JMH,

Glad I am able to give you a different perspective and be helpful. I agree with your statement of making this art, into a science...Ha Ha. There is certainly a lot of information out there. I am a mechanic and a pilot (Father was as well), so I tend to look at things through different lenses - always wanting to manage my aircraft and engines in a manner that ensures reliability and performance are well balanced.

On your question about best FF at 0' MSL, follow the procedure using the Continental Motors SID97-3G. That is what your mechanic should use as the procedure when setting up the fuel pumps and making sure your injection system is working in top shape. The fuel flow data for my engines were found in the IO360 Maintenance and Overhaul Manual (M7), Table 6-3. That table shows the engine operating limits, including the metered and unmetered fuel pressures. Depending on a number of things (shown in the SID), your metered pressure should be around 15.8 to 18.2 psi. I have mine set at the high end of the scale when I set mine up, based on my static RPM corrections.

On my aircraft (337A) there is a placard that depicts I should have "Maximum Power Mixture Settings of 17.0 Gal/hr at Sea Level , 15.0 @4000', 13.0 @ 8000' and 11.0 @ 12000'". When I go to full takeoff power at SL (I am based in South Texas), my fuel flow gauge indicates closer to 18 gph, which is true to the pressures I have them set at (roughly 17.8 psi). I have set of calibrated digital gauges I use to set the fuel pumps up. I recently took my FF gauge to an overhaul shop and they tested it as well to ensure its accuracy and smoothness at all settings.

I hope this helps!
Jeff

Last edited by JAG : 07-09-21 at 11:59 AM.