View Single Post
Unread 09-09-17, 07:51 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
When I returned to the shop after finding the wire loose on the up lock switch, main gear, right side, we were baffled that the new connectors didn't fix the problem. We decided not to put it back on jacks but to ohm out the up lock switches on the mains and the nose. While testing the nose we did not have continuity on the nose gear switch. I could not believe this. Finding a loose wire on the right main and now the nose switch wasn't working????? Ok off with the nose gear up lock switch and sure enough there was a broken wire. Now I am questioning which wire was the culprit.

After repairing the nose gear switch I took her to the air again and NO WAY!!!! the doors still did not close, how could this be happening. I landed and taxied back to the shop with pure discouragement. We put the plane back on the jacks and retracted the gear and started testing the switches again. Come to find out the new connectors that were installed were defective. One of them was not making contact. It was so crazy. We changed both the connectors with new connectors from another batch and off to the air again. It worked, the doors closed. These wires and components on these 50 + year old airplanes are starting to fail and we need to be ready to start getting proactive with inspecting closer. I was never in a gear up landing issue but it could happen the other way.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years