View Single Post
Unread 09-04-17, 10:55 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
So off to the shop and up on jacks. After taking the time to raise the airframe I opened the doors and started a visual inspection of the up lock switches. I started with the right main as I exited the cabin from extending the doors only. As I looked at the micro switch it looked ok but I touched the wires to see how secure they were and one of the wires came right off in my hand. BINGO!!!!! Here's the problem, why did I take the time to put the plane on jacks? I could have identified that without jacking the plane. While Craig replaced the both connectors on the switch I prepared to lower the plane back to the floor. We removed the jacks and pulled the plane out so that I can be on my way back home and prepare for the trip to NYC the next day in the early AM. As I departed I selected the landing gear up and the gear doors still did not close. WHAT!!!!! You have got to be kidding me. I circled around and started the downwind to land while trying the gear retract several times. No good, back to the shop and it's already 6 PM. Now what?

With these symptoms it's got to be an up-lock switch. The system protects the door from colliding with the gear until the up-lock switch's are satisfied........

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years