View Single Post
Unread 06-08-02, 12:18 PM

Alan Williams is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with you prssure enthusiasts.
Out here in B.C. on the very westest coast sitting on top looking down at the dark icy tops is comforting to say the least. We use our airplane for work so the advantage of being able to go in most conditions is the factor which makes the aircraft a real asset to us.
Long cross country trips Victoria - Toronto or PV are simple and easy. My comfort gauge is my sleeping family which is a good indicator of pucker factor.
Re the Garmin 530. I have a 430 and it is quite adequate to see where you are going and a breeze to use once you understand the page groups and the procedure functions. It just takes time and use to become proficient and safe. Twice , have forgotten to swith the cdi to VLOC from gps and then wondered where the glideslope was at the intercept.
In Canada MOT will not certify the installation for IFR untill a test ride with an inspector is satisfactory.
Turbo and o2 is a great idea untill you try to get it filled in unknown places. My experience was 50-80 dollars if you could find it and usually at large airports only so you also incurred landing fees as well. It is not like filling the gas tanks and I found it unworkable as a regular use item. ie, You will end up somewhere in the middle of the night wanting to be somewhere else and no O2 availible for the planned necessary altitudes. So it becomes a no-go.
Maintenace is of course more due to extra tubos but carefull operation seems to keep the cost reasonable.