View Single Post
Unread 02-15-05, 12:39 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Larry, I think you are right. Break it in down low first where you are certain of 75% power. The rings will seat a lot better. I've had constant problems with high oil consumption on my rear engine (525 hrs SMOH) versus the front (1075 SMOH.) My engine guru attributes it to poor ring seating when the engine was right out of overhaul (before I got it.)

On flying high, I go to Colorado in the summer and have often topped 14K to 16K VFR on hot days. I've had a light load, generally 10%+ under gross weight. I use a portable O2 system. I fly home from Eagle (EGE) to MEM at 11K (don't use O2 here) non-stop (900 n mi +/-) 5:45 to 6:15 with 1:30+ in reserve fuel. That's about 17-18 gph at 2400 RPM.

I've simulated FE out at 12.5K and held that altitude supposedly single engine. There's nothing in the handbook to use as SE RPM at this altitude so I've just interpolated to get the RPM setting with power at idle - it may not be a correct power setting.

Bad news, allow plenty of time to climb once you've left 10K with full fuel (148 gals) and a light load on a 90 degree day!