View Single Post
Unread 03-05-12, 06:25 PM

kdiel11 is on a distinguished road
Of course now I have to tell on myself.........We went to Red Bluff to pick up the plane. It had been fueled up and we took it around the pattern once with a CFI just to make sure my friend remembered everything about flying a Skymaster (one of 13 or 14 planes he has owned, he currently owns a Piper Meridian). He had owned a NA 337 but had also owned a single engine turbo. We take off from Red Bluff and begin flying south to Carlsbad. On our cruise flight level off check, I can't find the POH! I saw the guy put it somewhere up front on the CP side but I can't find it! What I did know from all my reading prior to this flight is that you don't want to lean too much with a turbo (lets not start the LOP/ROP debate again!) So we flew down to Carlsbad either near fully rich or fully rich. I know normally that the plane has about 6 hours of flying on a bag of gas. So just flying to Carlsbad should not be a problem...... We were on an IFR flight plan and were even vectored over downtown LA to set us up for landing at Carlsbad. We taxied into the FBO, shut down and told them to top off all tanks. We got back to the plane the next morning and my bill was for over $700! I asked the guy, "just how much gas did you pump?" He replied, "118 gallons." So much for having a reserve! I found the CPA workbook that a previous owner had attended and "appropriately" leaned the mixture for the next 2 days of flying. WHen leaned "appropriately" we would cruise at 21 gph. We were Eastbound so our GS was varying with tailwind sometimes as much at 195 kts at 11k. I'm having a little trouble with one of mine OBSs but otherwise I am really happy with the purchase for only $45K. KD