View Single Post
Unread 04-17-07, 11:12 AM

sgmret is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what the FAA says about this but I do remember that many of the ex-military pilots who flew fighters received a single-line thrust FAA license even though the jets they flew had two engines but were located together so as to be more or less single line thrust. It was my understanding that if one had a conventional multi-engine rating they could count all multi-engine time in either type, conventional twins or Skymasters, but if they had only a center-line thrust rating they could only count as multi-engine time that flown in a center-line thrust airplane (skymasters). I may be wrong on this but that is my recollection from my days as an FBO many years ago. It may have even had something to do with the insurance requirements but I can't remember anymore. I also remember one instance wherein a former Air Force Pilot who flew C-54s and later C-130s with thousands of hours wanted to become a flight instructor but before he could do so he had to obtain a single-engine rating. Until he took the check ride with a designated examiner he was treated as a student pilot in singles and could not carry passengers. Of course, he didn't have to go through the 40 hours of training - just to proficiency and then got a single-engine addition to his multi-engine Commercial rating.