View Single Post
Unread 04-10-04, 12:35 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I think there used to be a non-trivial number of them, I don't know how many remain today. I run across one other, but I can't recall where. The reason I think there must have been at least a few is that the boot design is slightly different from stock, and you can't get replacement boots from Goodrich, you have to go to Sierra, or whoever has the STC this week (they get them from Goodrich, but Goodrich is not allowed to sell them direct, it is an "OEM" design). So there must have been enough orders to get Goodrich interesting in building a special boot for Robertson. But maybe not.

In any case, yes, I saw the same behavior with airspeed as you. I am not sure I trust the airspeed indicator down that low, and the paperworks says that IAS is 8 kts less than CAS at 50 IAS. But never mind, the point is that the short field performance is awesome. I flew into 1800 foot strips with obstructions and made the middle turnoff, at gross weight. I also departed those strips with lots of margin, again at gross weight, and trees at the end of the field.

The book says 835' takeoff over a 50' obstacle at gross weight with maximum techniques. 1088' with normal STOL techniques. I would never have pushed it that hard, but it shows the margin you have. As long as both engines keep running. I would not want to have lost an engine during these takeoffs...

It was really fun, when light, with a little wind, to land at Hillsboro putting the wheels on the numbers, and turning *off* the runway where everybody was waiting to take off. Hee hee hee... It was also fun, when I had to make a noise abatement takeoff at Torrance airport once, to be at pattern altitude and throttled back to cruise-climb before I reached the other end of the runway (and the noise microphone).

I miss that airplane. You are lucky to have yours. Enjoy it...

Kevin