View Single Post
Unread 10-27-03, 10:34 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
In response to Don Hickman's joking comment WAY up there (busy board lately), the individual contributions folks make are gifts, according to my accountant, so no tax issue. The single corporate sponsor donation received *is* taxable, and we will declare it and any simililar sponsor donations as personal income on our next return.

You can have an organization without a corp, just elect officers and go for it. A plain, taxable, corporation is easy, but the ownership of the corporation might be hard. Some states (my attorney teaches me) have very strict laws about distribution of stock in a C corp. A non-profit corp is too much work, in my opinion, but that is only my opinion, y'all are welcome to put one together if you would like.

We will facilitate communication for the group with the site, however it is structured, or not structured.

It seems to me, though, that most of what makes an organization go is a few folks donating a lot of their time. I think pulling together a few more fly-ins would be a better use of time that forming an official organization. Once you have a core group of folks who regularly attend the fly-ins, then you can use those fly-ins to organize formally, with absentee ballots for the folks that can't attend, or something like that.

I think the most important group of volunteers to be found is the group who volunteer to put on our next fly-in, and I think that is where the focus should be.

My 2 cents, worth less than that, probably.

Kevin