View Single Post
Unread 12-24-20, 01:34 AM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesjaj View Post
I'm working up a plan for my 337G (1973) panel and am looking for options. Option one is to retain the entire structure and make new overlays (carbon fiber etc) over the top.

The alternate is to use the "nibble" method to modify the original metal panel to allow for a new CNC panel to be installed over the top of it with all instruments mounted conventionally (from the rear). This is done to preserve the structure of the panel. Does anyone have pictures of how this was done on your panels?

Either way I'm likely going to add 2x MVP-50s so the RHS will need some modification either way.

Attached is my panel's present state.
I am finishing the install of two MVP-50Ps in my FT337GP.

Here are a couple things to consider:

If the structure behind your co-pilot's panel is like mine, there is a structural brace behind the panel. Its about where your previous fuel flow gauges were and it slopes upward from aft to forward. After taking that brace into consideration, I had about 1/8" vertical extra to play with to get the two MVP-50P's in the stack. Part of that 1/8" went to separate the two boxes behind the panel by about 1/16".

Also, allow space on the pilot's panel in front of you to place the 2-master warning and 2-master caution annunciator lights.

Additionally, the prop sync will be lost as it will not interface with the MVP-50Ps.

I used plexiglass sheets to do test cuts on. Then I mounted the plexiglass panel, and the instruments, to test the location of all the holes. After 4 iterations I got it the way I wanted, then cut the final panel.

Be sure to spend all the time necessary to research all the options for the MVP-50P. It's a very capable system and has a lot of options that you may, or may not, want to take advantage of.

Full panel during install

Last edited by Rick Erwin : 12-24-20 at 10:15 AM.