View Single Post
Unread 08-26-20, 11:29 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Question Prop Unfeathering Accumulators - Question

I've enjoyed my twins in the past that had unfeathering accumulators.

With accumulators, its much smoother to restart an engine after practicing single engine work. Just push the prop lever forward, give the motor some throttle and mixture, and its immediately running smoothly again. Without accumulators, the engine shakes badly when you start it using the starter, which is the only option you have if the prop is feathered. Hard on the starter, hard on the prop, hard on the Lord mounts, and hard on the crew.

This is one reason most training these days is "zero thrust" where the ME instructor "simulates" an engine out by reducing MP to 12". The motor never actually gets shut down. That's fine and dandy for flight school safety, but that training method cannot, and does not, demonstrate the actual immediate loss of performance with a windmilling prop and a dead engine. I want to train under real-world conditions with the dead engine windmilling, so if it does happen in real life, I've seen it before, and know what to do. So...

I'd like to install accumulators. I can buy a set for well under $1k, and they don't weigh very much. The service manual doesn't show exactly where the accumulators are mounted.

Would one you guys with accumulators installed post a few pics of them, both front and rear, so I can get an idea of where the factory mounted them?

Last edited by mshac : 08-26-20 at 11:36 AM.