View Single Post
Unread 10-12-02, 08:57 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
A Thought

We have polled, with no clear cut results, as to where to have the next meeting. Of the 164 people that have registered for this message board, only 34 have voted for a location. The 164 includes some people that don't currently own skymasters, and represent about 18% of the skymasters that are registered in the US, not counting the ones that are Canadian, or Mexican, or other countries.
So, does it have to be one meeting?
Why not schedule 3 - 4 meetings a year, somewhat geographical, and invite everyone to all of them. If we can get 30-40 planes to any or all of them, we call it a success. I remember Guy writing about Whitaker (sp) setting them up 2 years in advance. We had one, with what I thought was a success, given the timing and advance notice.
So, here's my proposal.
Let's have a meeting in Las Vegas, first week of April.
Let's have a meeting in Treasure Cay, first week of May.
Let's call these semi-technical, social gatherings. Let's combine them with some localize travel, sightseeing, trips. From LV, we could go north to Tonapah and Groom Lake. East, towards the Grand Canyon, or lots of easy, short hops are available in the area. Call it a long weekend, or 4-5 days.
For Treasure Cay, a short hop over to one of the local islands would be possible.
Let's have a strictly technical gathering in Oklahoma City, or Nashville, first week of June. Given the participation of Don Neiser, I think we could have a better technical meeting at Don's place.
Let's schedule another gathering, unofficial, unorganized, for Oshkosh, and a formal, semi-technical, gathering in Las Vegas, for October.
Anything on the east coast, after mid June, becomes subject to Hurricanes and tropical storms. The folks in Texas going north to New York have found that out, this fall.

What do you folks think.

Personally, I'd like to see an eastern meeting in my backyard, or DCA, but neither of those are practical.

Anyone else have a better idea?