View Single Post
Unread 01-02-21, 11:15 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
IIRC = If I recall correctly.

I didn't find the one I mentioned, but I'm still looking.

Here is a Forest Service 337 incident:
August 8, 2018, Lewiston, Idaho
Cessna T337 Turbocharged Skymaster

At about 1828 Pacific time, the airplane sustained substantial damage when it landed with its landing gear retracted. The commercial pilot and his passenger were not injured. The airplane was being operated under contract for the U.S. Forest Service on an “air attack” firefighting support mission. Visual conditions existed for the landing.

When the pilot prepared to land, the landing gear failed to extend. After troubleshooting the problem and cycling the gear, the pilot and passenger determined the system’s hydraulic fluid reservoir, which was accessible from the cabin, was empty. Despite replenishing the reservoir with oil and water, the landing gear could not be successfully extended. Committed to a gear-up landing, the pilot secured the front engine, and “bumped” its starter to position the propeller blades horizontally and prevent damage. The occupants unlatched a cabin door to ensure their egress after landing. After landing gear-up, the airplane slid to a stop within a few feet of the runway centerline. The pilot shut down the aft engine, secured the airplane and both occupants exited. No fire or other problems occurred.

Examination revealed the circlips retaining the actuator rods for both the left and right main landing gear doors had been liberated from their retention grooves. Loss of this circlip allows hyperextension of the actuator rod and permits hydraulic fluid to exit the actuator.