View Single Post
Unread 11-14-18, 12:22 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich3773 View Post
Oil Temps
I think you need more investigation before you start obstructing the oil cooler. Is winter weight oil being used or a multi-grade? Where is the oil temperature probe located; cooler inlet, cooler outlet, someplace else? There is often a large temperature difference between the temperature at the probe location and true temperature at the outlet of the engine.

Also interesting ....the highest oil temperatures occur post landing!
I have dual temp gauges and probes in different locations on my set up. The original factory gauges are reading from the cooler and I have 42 years of experience with them. I feel that I can still trust the factory gauges as I am so familiar with the range that I see based on the ambient temps.

My JPI EDM reads from the front of the case just below the crankshaft. This sees the oil in the motor channels and reads digitally on the JPI. Again because I have so much experience with the factory gauges, comparing the JPI probes is relative to the factory gauges. I feel like the oil is at a higher temp in the case vs the cooler. I like to see about 170 minimum on the JPI. In the winter it's pretty tough to get there even with my covers on.

I run exclusively multi grade Phillips X/C 20-50W only.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years