View Single Post
Unread 03-08-05, 12:17 PM

Walter Atkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Guy:

**Just curious Walt, what will the target EGT be in climb?**

That changes from engine to engine, but a very good starting point is 1275-1300dF on most of the NA engines we're dealing with. Pick the hottest EGT and keep it in that range and it will pay dividends in climb rate and fuel savings. That should work fine.

** My mechanic at one time suggested to leave the throttles at the take off position till reducing for cruise for the full throttle inrichment. (good idea or no). **

You have a knowledgeable mechanic. That's excellent advice which is compatible with the science. I have one question. Why reduce MP at cruise? You're NA, right? Leave it WOT in cruise and GO!

**On my JPI I notice the increase of EGT's if I reduce to a climb power setting. **

Yes, this is from the change in the effective timing that results from the changes in MP and rpm. Take your mechanic's advise and leave it WOT and only reduce rpms after takeoff if there is a noise abatement or POH limitation issue. Your engine will run under less stress that way. Seems counter-intuitive, but it's true. The way they are engineered, there is less stress on the engine at WOT and full rpms than with the MP and RPM reduced for climb power. Sounds crazy, but that's the MEASURED reality.