View Single Post
Unread 04-20-02, 05:28 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
If memory serves me, I think your first name is Jim...

Anyway, Jim, without the manuals in front of me tonight I seem to recall the 1973 models having only three individual tanks on each side, as compared to four on the later models, and the interconnect hoses are reachable through the underside inspection panels. Have you been able to get to all of them?

Ours is a later P-model and during annual we went through and checked the clamps... all of them were loose and you kinda have to be a contortionist to reach the upper hose clamp on the outboard side (especially if you have the Robertson/STOL conversion, where they install a different tank in the outboard position).

BTW, just as a side-note to those who have a 1977 P-model with the Roberston/STOL, your useable fuel is NOT 148 gallons... it's 143, or 71.5 per side, due to your outboard tanks being somewhat smaller than the Cessna factory installation.

In your case, I think I'd make sure those interconnect hoses are not the culprit first before entertaining the idea of removing the wing-panels, but be careful not to overtighten them or you may cause a leak. Next I'd check the inboard quick-drain valves. From there, a check of the upper side inspection ports... but to do this you do have to remove the upper wing panels to gain access and the manual goes into some detail on how you MUST prop-up and support the underside of the wing and the tail boom PRIOR to removing any of the screws up top side, otherwise you'll get some distortion and you'll play hell getting things back together again.

You seem to be pretty sure your inboard tank is leaking... but are you certain? And does the leaking occur all the time or just when the tanks are topped off?

Hope this helps a little...

SkyKing