View Single Post
Unread 10-01-18, 07:11 PM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippster View Post
We live on the North side of Houston near Lake Conroe, so it's hot and I want AC. I've read many threads on flying higher and getting the turbo or P model, but I don't think we need that. A good NA plane with good AC is what I think works best for us and our budget.
You could also find the plane you want and utilize a portable A/C unit. They work pretty well these days: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...5/cheap-chills

Quote:
I've been reviewing a few planes on Controller, TAP, Skymaster etc.
They've all got their pros and cons...a knowledgeable prebuy is a MUST.

Quote:
I've been reviewing a few planes on Controller, TAP, Skymaster etc. I like N5478S on Skymaster because it has the AC and I've already talked with Owen Bell about it. (He's got the airplane and keeping it running).

Does anyone know anything specific about this plane that I might not find out easily, but should know?
Don't know anything about particular aircraft.

Quote:
Eventually, I will probably put in a glass PFD and MFD because that's what I'm most used to and comfortable with, but I can wait a bit if need be. I'd like either mid time or less engines or runout engines and I'll get new ones. I'm trying to keep it under $100K for the purchase.
It always better to let someone else do the glass upgrade and then buy their aircraft if possible. Those big glass avionics installs can really hurt the wallet up front.

New engines are $42K EACH from TCM...certainly something to keep in mind.

Quote:
Finally, any other advice on anything I might want to study up on regarding the 337 or be aware of?
Tripp
As has been discussed, the entire legacy GA fleet is getting old and Cessna/Piper/Beechcraft don't want us around anymore. 50 year piston twins can be EXPENSIVE to own and operate...don't be lured by a low purchase price and be a very diligent shopper. Once it's yours...it's yours.

Quote:
I have a very good friend who is an IA that will help me with a prebuy, but he is only slightly familiar with the 337 and it's been a while.
That guy won't be much help. You need an IA that has 337 experience.

At the risk of being labeled a heretic, take a look at Beech 55 Barons. They're the sweet spot of used airplane pricing right now. Really nice birds for the money. Here's an outwardly nice example: https://www.controller.com/listings/...craft-55-baron

Good luck and have with your search!
CNC3