View Single Post
Unread 03-08-05, 12:31 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Kyle,

Walter and others will certainly express their opinion, but in my view, and in the view of the very knowledgeable turbocharged piston engine mechanic that used to work on my P, there is no reason to pull the mixture lever back at all during climb. Reduce to the climb power setting that Cessna specifies, but then leave the mixture in. You will burn a bit more fuel, but will reduce the risk of hurting your engine. Depending on the fuel flow gauge is not a good idea. They can go out of calibration very quickly, and you could fry your engine fast.

I will be interested in Walter's reply to the concept of running at peak EGT and 65% in cruise. I have previously been told that this is not a good idea, because (with GAMIs) fuel distribution to the cylinders is uneven, and you could end up with one or more cylinders inside that red box he talks about, even though you have leaned to peak based on your Cessna (I guess that is what you are using) EGT guage. I've also been told that at 65%, you can run it anywhere up to and including peak, and it won't hurt it, so it would seem that what you suggest would be OK.

But anyway, my only point was that pulling back the mixture to the top of the green is not the best practice, in my view. I ran my P337 the way I describe for several years. It simplified operation, used a little fuel for cooling, and gave me a bit more peace of mind. I did this even when I had an analyzer, because leaning for climb with an analyzer (in an IFR step climb for example) seemed like a pain.

Kevin